Sunday, July 3, 2011

Rain!

It rained last night.  Just barely.  It lasted slightly longer than the extremely brief shower we had a week or two ago.  I even got a chance to go outside and stand in it.  The cat thought I was nuts, but that's his problem. 

I knew we had a shot at some rain when I noticed I had moisture on the outside of my bottle of ice water.  Lately our humidity has been so low (4 per cent at one point) that even when my bottle held mostly ice versus water, there was no moisture on it.  So, knowing it had bumped up into at least the teens made me hopeful.

Oooh, I just switched over to The Weather Channel and the radar is showing showers in the area.  Hooray!

I'd be enjoying it more if I didn't feel slightly puny.  I had a medical exam the other day.  During the exam, they asked when I'd had my last tetanus vaccination.  I couldn't remember, but knew it'd been longer than 5 years.  So the decision was made to give me one.

Anyone who's ever gotten a tetanus shot knows it makes your arm hurt and slightly swollen and red for several days.  In addition, there's the diphtheria vaccine that's part of the shot.  Plus, about 5 years ago, the decision was made to include whooping cough to the vaccine.  AFTER I got the shot, the doctor mentioned that adding whooping cough to the vaccine has been known to make you feel crappier than you would have if it wasn't in the shot.

I got the shot on Thursday and, other than my left shoulder, felt OK.  Ditto for Friday morning.  Things started to slide gradually downhill on Friday afternoon.  I practiced my tai chi chih around noon.  However, instead of feeling relaxed afterward, I felt kinda sore and slightly stiff.  Weird.  Then sometime around 11 PM it felt like all my energy had disappeared.  I toughed it out for a while and then gave up the fight and went to bed.

Saturday morning, I felt like the Queen of Lethargy.  Oh my goodness!  I supposed I could have just gone back to bed, but the cat was demanding to be fed and I had a couple of errands to run, so I just kept on plugging.  After I got home I took an OTC flu pill (because it felt like I had a mild case of the flu) and took a long nap.  That helped because I at least felt slightly more human and slightly less zombie.  I did my very best couch potato for the rest of the day.

Today I'm feeling a bit better.  Less ache-y.  A bit more energy.  My arm still hurts, but it's also improving.  A bit less red around the injection site.  It's also itching a little which is a bit problematic what with the achiness still present. 

In any case, I hope you have a great Fourth of July.
Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment