Sunday, January 1, 2012

Champagne on New Year's Eve

A bit of history (historical history, not my history):  In 1772 Philippe Clicquot-Muiron founded the company that would eventually become Veuve Clicquot (pronounced vuv klee-KOH).  In 1798, Philippe's son, Francois Clicquot, married Barb-Nicole Ponsardin.  Francois died in 1805.  His widow (veuve is French for widow) was left in control of a company that handled banking, wool trading and Champagne production.  Barbe-Nicole decided to concentrate on the Champagne production.  As part of that, she is credited with the breakthrough allowing for the mass production of wine.  When Barbe-Nicole died in 1866, Veuve Clicquot was a substantial Champagne house and respected brand enjoyed by, among others, many of the royal houses of Europe, including Imperial Russia and England.

I had heard of Veuve Clicquot and had read a biography of Barbe-Nicole a couple of years ago.  So, when I found Veuve Clicquot Champagne for sale at, of all places, Costco at a reasonable price, I bought a bottle planning on having it on New Year's Eve.  Although it is a very pleasant wine to drink, sadly it did not blow me away.  I was expecting WOW!  Or even wow!  Instead, I got an OK.  Sigh. 

Oh, well.  I celebrated New Year's Eve as I like to - quietly and at home.  I definitely don't like going to New Year's Eve parties.  I went once (with friends) during grad school and hated it.  I don't like crowds.  I especially don't like noisy crowds.  I even more especially don't like drunk, noisy crowds.  So, staying home is just what I like.  No noise.  No crowds.  No standing in line to use a public restroom.

I just wish the Champagne had lived up to my hopes and had blown my socks off.  I guess if that's the worse thing that happens in 2012, I should have a pretty good year.

Bonne Annee,

Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment