Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The End of an Era

As you may have noticed, it's been a week since my last blog posting.

Earlier this year, my mom had several episodes where she fell, one especially bad fall in early March.  Since then my mom has gone into a nice assisted living place (researched by my older sister).   Since then both of my sisters and I have been working on getting my mom's house cleaned out and put up for sale.

Over this past weekend we held an estate sale.  A very lovely and talented woman (Kay) and her team of lovely and talented workers conducted the sale.  (We are very grateful for their professionalism!)  My sisters and my brother-in-law and I helped by being watchers and runners and generally doing what we could to make things run as smoothly as possible.

All in all it was an exhausting weekend and I just really didn't have the mental energy to blog.

The title of this posting mentions the end of an era.  When my dad retired, he and my mom moved into the house that is currently my mom's home (my dad died in the early 1980's).  So the house has been in my family for over 30 years.  Needless to say, there are lots of memories connected to the house and its furnishings.

I find myself becoming sentimental over any number of things that could be considered small or silly.  But they'll trigger a memory or two or three.  As to be expected, some of the memories are happy, some sad. 

Was it C.S. Lewis who said that memories are what give us roses in December?

Anyway, my mom seems to be doing well at the assisted living home.  It was definitely the right move.  She seems to be making new friends to go with all her former friends who've been very good about visiting her.

Prior to the estate sale, my sisters and I very amicably decided on what we wanted to keep.  It was still tough seeing some things being sold.  I kept having memories of 'remember when'.  I just kept telling myself that the items being sold would now be giving good memories to their new owners. 

Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment