Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Life at This Moment

To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take up exercise, get up early, or be respectable. -- Oscar Wilde

My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning and yet I'm happy.  I can't figure it out.  What am I doing right? -- Charles Schulz

At this point, the above two quotes pretty much sum up how I feel at the moment.  It'd be nice to be a bit younger.  But I know that's not going to happen.  So, I know that no matter how much 'work' I do, getting my youth back is an exercise in futility.  Hence, I agree with Oscar Wilde - I'm not going to exercise (much), get up early (never again if I have anything to say about it), or be 'more' respectable (let's face it, I'm moderately respectable - a failing of mine, I'm afraid).

I also agree with Charles Schulz.  Before I got out of college and into the workaday world, I had my life pretty much plotted out.  Then I got out and found out how much nonsense goes on in the business world.  Not backstabbing per se.  I'm referring to the office politics (good/bad/indifferent).  I always hated playing that game.

I also loathe committee meetings of any kind.  Which explains why I also hate jury duty.  I'm not one to endlessly discuss the minutiae behind any decision.  Any committee ever formed has always had one or more person who does want to talk everything to DEATH.  Which always makes me want to pick up a heavy blunt object and strike them repeatedly about the head and shoulders.

Plus, I won't discuss the bosses I've had over the years for reasons of possible defamation charges.  No, not every boss was weird/hateful/incompetent.  But enough of them have been and I've become a bit gunshy.

After enough weird/bad jobs with weird/incompetent bosses, I find I have no ambition left.  I don't want a career.  I don't want to climb the corporate ladder.  I don't want to supervise people.  Essentially, I just want to be left alone.  (Note:  Greta Garbo did not say "I want to be alone".  She said, "I want to be LEFT alone."  Hear!  Hear!)

Of course, all of this could just be my annual bout with late summer lethargy.  It's like the heat has sapped all the energy from my bones. 

Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment