Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Eek!

Yesterday started out well.  My dentist's office agreed with me that a bill I'd gotten from them was in error and I didn't owe them money.  Yippee!

Then I ran some errands and found most of what I wanted.

On the way home I decided to stop by the Walgreens near my home and pick up a bottle of booze.  I do like to have a drink each evening as a way to wind down.  Some time ago (a year or so?) the Walgreens chain decided to card everyone buying products like booze and cigarettes.  I don't have a problem with that - normally.

However, yesterday I got to the counter and showed the clerk my driver's license.  He looked at it, then looked at it again.  It had expired on Sunday.  Eeek!

Needless to say, they wouldn't sell the booze to me.  And I hot-footed it off to the Motor Vehicle Division.  The trip there was mildly funny.  Before realizing my license had expired, I had been driving around without a care in the world.  Afterwards, I was constantly looking for police officers lurking behind any and all large objects.

I made it to the MVD and settled in for a LONG wait.  They were on number 99 when I entered and my number was 47 (they roll over and start at 00 when done with 99).  Fortunately I had a book of mystery short stories in my car.  I completed it.  I went out and got a magazine.  Finished it.  Finally after a bit over 90 minutes, my number was called.  I answered a number of questions - no, I don't have a disease that might cause problems while driving, and no, I've never had a DWI, and yes, I do still want to be an organ donor.

Then it was off to have my picture taken.  On my recently expired licensed, my photo made me look like a middle-aged felon.  My current photo makes me look like a slightly older, somewhat surprised middle-aged felon. 

Oh, well.  I'm now back to being a legal driver.  I took the 8 year option so am spared the whole process for a while yet.

Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment