Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fleeing the 1950's

As usual, I've been browsing through the book section at Goodwill looking for interesting books.  I found a couple including one from the early/mid 1950's.  It's Amy Vanderbilt's Everyday Etiquette.  I bought it chiefly for the entertainment value.

I must admit, I was grew up in the 1950's (partly).  In reading the etiquette book, I am so glad I'm no longer living there.  The book is written based on questions asked of Ms. Vanderbilt by her readers.

Here's an example of why I'm glad we're no longer living in the 1950's.

A person (identified as G.H. of La Jolla, California) asks what is suitable attire for a secretary to wear to work.  Ms. Vanderbilt's reply is as follows:
"It depends on the community in which she works.  If she works in a large city, she wears tailored, conservative clothes, low or medium, not high, heels, stockings (even in the hottest weather), minimum of jewelry and none of it clanking, conservative make-up and nails, and a simple coiffeur.  If she works under country conditions, she wears simple country clothes, which again should be on the conservative side.  In the country, for example, sweaters and skirts worn with or without jackets are acceptable, but sweaters in a city are often not permitted."

What the heck are 'country conditions'?  And the thought of having to wear nylons everyday (even in the hottest weather) makes my blood run cold.

I will admit that several years after moving to the Albuquerque area 20 years ago, I was working with a temp agency.  One of the jobs they sent me on was working in the front office of an apartment complex.  I showed up wearing a nice blazer, shirt and slacks.  They refused to let me work because 'corporate' refused to have women wearing slacks in their front office.  I was dumbfounded, after all this was the early 1990's, not the 1950's.  Needless to say, I notified the temp agency and headed for home.

I'll be passing along more 'tips' for your amusement.

Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment