Friday, December 14, 2012

What a day!

Today I've been through the oft-mentioned roller coaster of emotions.

The day started out well.  When I got up, it had been raining and continued to do so for most of the morning.  Nothing very much, but all of it was welcome.

I went out in the rain to do battle with Bank of America.  They are the holders of the mortgage on my house.  Over the years, I've been paying extra on my monthly payments.  Some months got more, others got less depending upon my financial circumstances.  In November I noticed that the balance was low enough for me to contemplate paying it off.

I called the 800 hundred number and spoke with a young man named Michael.  I told him what I wanted to do and he gave me a total that he said would pay off the mortgage.  Per his instructions, I got a certified check and mailed it off.  I've been watching the mail for paperwork showing that the mortgage was history.

Yesterday I got some paperwork for BofA.  Guess what, Michael's total hadn't paid off the mortgage.  So I called again and got a young woman named Ciji (pronounced SEE-gee).  She pooh-poohed most of what Michael had told me.  She gave me another balance.  All I had to do was get a certified check to one of the local BofA branches by 12/17.  I pointed out that wasn't a whole lot of time.  After all, Michael had given me 30 days.  She 'graciously' allowed me another couple of days by extending her deadline until 12/20.  Gee, thanks!

I also pointed out that Michael had said his balance would pay things off and it hadn't.  So what faith should I have in her balance?  (Note:  I was polite throughout this phone call.)  She said she would send me some paperwork that I could take into the bank branch.  I pointed out her extended deadline was only 5 business days away and that I doubted that the mail service would get it to me by then.  She pooh-poohed that saying it would not be a problem since all they had to do is read her notes.  (Ummm, if that's true, why did I need her paperwork.)  She's talking as she's typing away and finally says the paperwork should arrive in 7 to 10 business days.  Say what?!

Needless to say, I had VERY LITTLE faith in what she had to say, especially in light of the fact that she kept having to put me on hold to go ask questions. 

I decided to take the bull by the horns.  I went to the nearest branch and met with a woman named Rosa.  I told her my tale of woe and asked for her help.  She got to experience some of my frustration when she called the Mortgage Payoff Hotline and got a run-around similar to mine.  At one point the woman at the other end of the line said I could pay with cash if I wanted to and then seconds later said no, I couldn't pay with cash.

Rosa was finally able to get a final total.  I went to my credit union and got the payment in hand.  I trotted back and was able to give it to Rosa.  Now I just have to wait to see if this brings the process to an end.  If it doesn't, the gloves come off.

I did have to laugh to myself.  At the end of the process, Rosa asked if I wanted her to tell her all about the products available at BofA.  I just smiled and said I was happy with my credit union.

I went home and turned on the TV.  That was when I found out about the horrible shooting at the elementary school in Connecticut.  Oh, how very sad!  It's a small enough town that you know this affects everyone.  My heart goes out to everyone there.

Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment