Sunday, April 10, 2011

Random Things

My plumbing project came to an official end this past Monday (4/4).  When the plumbers were working on my house, they had to go into the attic crawlspace.  The panel giving access to that area is made of drywall.  The original panel was original to the house and due to its age was rather fragile.  A corner was accidentally broken off and the plumbers said they'd replace it.  Unfortunately, they were busy with other people's leaks during the last week of March so we scheduled for panel replacement on Monday the 4th.  The plumber showed up a bit late (he called and let me know) due to yet more leaks elsewhere, but I now have a new attic access panel.  As the plumber was leaving, I said, "you guys did a great job and I really appreciate it, but I hope I don't see you for a very long time."  The plumber smiled and agreed with me.

Since then things have gotten back to normal.

For those who don't know, I belong to an informal quilt group that meets once a month.  Sometimes we quilt, sometimes we don't.  We've known each other for the better part of 20 years and always have a good time when we get together.  This year we decided to have a group project.  For that, each of us brought in a yard of 'mystery' fabric whose identity was hidden in a brown paper sack.  We each drew a sack and now have to make a project of our choosing using the fabric and employing a log cabin block of our choice for the pattern.  I've been working away on my project and have now gotten the top about 95% done.  The design is done and now I just need to decided on what to do for the borders.  I think I'll use my mystery fabric (turquoise background with a brown vine design) as a narrow inner border.  I'll put a wider border on the outside.  I've been looking for something in a nice chocolate brown on brown.  I found one that was close but didn't really quite make the cut (pun intended).  I've seen some lovely tone on tone fabrics, but not a lot in a nice deep brown.  Rats!

Anyway, here's a picture of the top as it stands so far.
















I call it 'A Cheerful Heart'.  It's based on a pattern in an older quilt book that I have.  I'm not doing the pattern exactly as shown in the book since it involves doing applique flowers on the bottom point of the heart.  One, I think the flowers make it look fussy.  Two, I hate, hate, HATE doing applique.  It makes my neck muscles tense up just to think about doing applique.  So, I won't, I won't, I WON'T!

Now that I've got that little tantrum out of my system, I'm off to surf the net.

Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment