Monday, December 5, 2011

Snowed In

In yesterday's post, I spent a fair amount of time kvetching about the small amount of snow we had gotten.  I should be careful about what I kvetch about.

The forecasters all said we would be getting more snow.  Maybe 1-2 inches overnight with the possibility of more snow today.  Sure enough, it started to snow last night.  I was hoping it would blow through  leaving a minimum of snow behind.

No such luck.  I got up this morning and found a good 4-6 inches on the ground and more falling.  Work's start time was delayed by 2 hours.

















One problem - I drive a PT Cruiser.  The front end only clears the ground by about 4 inches.  (I've confirmed this the hard way by scraping the curb if I pull too far forward in a parking space.)  With 4 to 6 inches of snow on the ground, I'm no longer driving a car, instead I'm driving a cute red snow plow.















So I called work and said that I'm taking a vacation day since I'm not able to get out of the subdivision.  Fortunately, I didn't have anything critical work-wise on my plate.  I did miss a holiday luncheon that sounded as though it was going to be yummy.  (Rats!)

I really didn't want to see the snow.  I'm saving up my vacation time for some stuff I'm planning on doing next year.  The snow just shot 9 hours of that.  Sigh.  Plus, since I took the above pictures, I've been shoveling snow.  Apparently I overdid it with my right arm because it's feeling really tight.  Oh, well.  After I get done here, I get to go out and move more snow.  I may spread some sand as well.  No point in walking out tomorrow morning and hitting ice.  I've never been fond of falling down.  Nope, no thanks.

Papillon

P.S.  I actually measured the snow on top of my car.  I officially got 6 1/4 inches.  Sheesh.  One of the forecasters said there are parts of the metro area that only got a few flakes.  Salt in the wound.
P.S.2  The forecasters are saying we will be getting down into double digits over night.  Oh, really.  If I wanted winter time temps in the single digits I'd move to some place like Minnesota or North Dakota.  (And yes, I do realize their single digits are usually negative numbers.)
P.S.3  I am SO glad I had my house re-piped earlier this year.  Now my pipes are all properly insulated (unlike those installed by the builder) and much less likely to be affected by really cold temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment