Saturday, June 12, 2010

Flea Market Fun

There's a whole lot of fun in going to a flea market on a sunny Saturday morning.  It was made even better because the temperature was significantly cooler than it was last weekend.

Last weekend we hit 100 degrees (F) - the earliest date for that mark & setting a new record.  Here in the Albuquerque metro area, the flea market is held each weekend at the State Fairgrounds.  Just thinking about spending time in 100 degree weather at a flea market being held on an asphalt surface made me want to lie down with a cool, damp cloth on my forehead.

Fortunately my friend & I had decided on today instead & got lucky with a cool front going through late Friday & dropping the temperatures back into the 80's.

It's always fun to see what people are selling.  We were tempted by some T-shirts at 3 for $10.  But we resisted.  Then there were the packets of socks.  Ditto.  It was rather to sad to notice that a man who sold honey & beeswax in years past was not to be found.  He had yummy honey & I'd used his beeswax to make candles.  Lovely stuff.  Plus his jars of honey made a beautiful display when the light shone through them at just the right angle.  They would absolutely glow.

There are always several vendors who sell horchata.  I was in the mood for lime flavored & finally found a vendor who had some.  It was VERY tart & was exactly what I wanted.  The only way to make it better would have been to add a shot of rum.  Instant daquiri!  However, that sort of thing is rather frowned upon by those who run the fairgrounds, so I had to make do without.  It was undoubtedly for the best.

Later, my friend & I rested from our exertions by going to a restaurant neither of us had been to before - a place called Gecko's Tapas (on Academy).  Tasty food, a nice server who gave us good service & we had a lovely extended chat.  The man who took our money for the bill seemed to feel rather put-upon when we asked to have the bill split out.  Granted, we could have asked the server for separate checks, but we forgot.  I'm not sure why the man took it so very personally, after all we were a party of two & not twelve.  I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt & assume that he was just having a bad day.  It did rather put a small downer note at the end of our otherwise pleasant experience.

Otherwise, it's been an enjoyable day.  See you at the flea market!

Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment