Tuesday, June 29, 2010

More Random Musings



I'm still feeling rather laid back after my lovely day yesterday at the Botanical Park.

I'm glad I went when I did.  Later in the afternoon a thunderstorm moved through.  Lots of wind & rain.  I was glad I was home.  I did worry about a young man who came to my door wanting to give me a religious brochure.  As always I politely said no, thank you.  I hope he was able to find shelter from the storm.

Earlier in the summer I visited my mom who lives in west Texas.  There are a number of odd place names on the way to & from Albuquerque.  For example:  there is Cannibal Draw (near Big Spring, TX).  I wonder what happened there to give it that name.  I keep telling myself I'm going to do some research on it.  However, I've been a bit lazy in that regard.

One of the routes I've taken over the years goes through Lincoln County - where Billy the Kid earned his notoriety.  Lincoln NM has a small cemetery.  Some gravestones are old.  Some are newer.  Some don't even have a formal headstone - just a large stone (about the size of a bowling ball) at the head and foot of the grave.  Kinda sad when you think about it.

There is one headstone that amuses me.  It's for a husband and wife.  His claim to fame is that he was a 'pal of Billy the Kid'.  I guess if that's your 15 minutes of fame, then you might as well run with it.


Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment