Sunday, June 13, 2010

Knit Wit

"Knitting is a boon for those of us who are easily bored.  I take my knitting everywhere to take the edge off of moments that would otherwise drive me stark raving mad."  Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, author of Yarn Harlot and At Knit's End:  Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much.
---------------------------------

I'm just curious, but what is it about knitters & humor?  It seems as though you can't throw a rock without having it hit some form of knitting humor.  A quick search of the web found the following blogs:
               yarnharlot.ca (run by the lady whose quote is above)
               crazyknittinglady.wordpress.com
               wendyknits.net

Just to name a few.  Ms. Pearl-McPhee has also published 3 books of her humorous knitting adventures.  In perusing the Arts & Crafts section of a nearby bookstore, I spotted several books of knitting humor by other authors.  I don't recall any such books by people who do stained glass or needlepoint or woodworking.  All books on those subjects tend to be straightforward how-to books.

The only other hobby category that seems to have people willing to mock their obsessions is quilting.  As a part-time quilter myself, while reading Ms. Pearl-McPhee's first book, Yarn Harlot, I noticed there are any number of parallels between her knitting experiences & those of most quilters I know.  Her observations about her knitting stash almost exactly matched those I've had about my fabric stash.  Example:  buying yarn or fabric simply because it was on sale & later realizing it was on sale because it was absolutely too hideous to use in any project.  Ever.

Which leads me to my next question.  What is it with pets & projects?  Every quilt project I've ever worked on has instantly magnetized every pet I've ever owned - causing them to become inseparable.  Able to defy that rule of physics that says 2 separate objects cannot occupy the same space.  It doesn't matter if the pet is a cat or a dog.  If the project is on an available horizontal space, your pet will be on top of the project.  Said pet will become annoyed with you when you try to separate the two.  My cats have been known to sulk, loudly, when shooed away from sitting in the exact middle of a quilt.

Just wondering.
Papillon

No comments:

Post a Comment